Wildcat Wisdom: Seniors share advice for underclassmen

photo used with permission from Jasmine Ishahack

Jasmine Ishahack and Jadyn Wallin enjoy the day at Gradbash on April 8 at Universal Studios.

“I wish I would have known about this before’’ are the infamous words that come out of a senior’s mouth. After an eventful high school experience amidst a pandemic, seniors are ready to depart but not before they leave their fair share of advice. Here are some words of wisdom from soon-to-be graduates.

Senior Alexandra Forcier learned persistence pays off.  

“Don’t give up when things get tough, you’ll regret it in the long run,’ Forcier said. ‘“I had a teacher who was a very strict grader where I would spend forever on assignments just to make sure I received a good grade. At the end of the year when my GPA didn’t go down as much, I was glad that I didn’t give up on that class.’’ 

Throughout high school, certain classes can be very difficult content and workload-wise, sports can become very strenuous and time-consuming and extracurriculars can feel like a burden on top of everything else. However, giving up isn’t always the answer. Sometimes pushing through is what feels most rewarding in the end, especially when college decisions are released. 

“Whatever you do throughout high school, do it for yourself, not for an application,” senior Jacob Pamplin said. “Passion can be recognized through anything–I personally sing and play the guitar, which I hope to continue throughout college.’’ 

Everyone has different areas of interest and strength. While traditional wisdom emphasizes that colleges will only recognize high GPAs and test scores, the reality is that they also value you sticking to something you’re passionate about and showing progress and dedication.

“Get involved in as many extracurriculars as possible,” senior Mia Devendorf said. “I made a lot of my closest friends in the extracurriculars I joined and they also helped me get more involved in school.”

Extracurriculars are a great way to meet like-minded people and colleges like to see involvement as well. From team sports and playing an instrument to being in school clubs and volunteering, it can provide a variety of social and academic benefits. 

Senior Luis Gaitan warns about the effects of procrastination such as making it hard to catch up and increasing your stress. 

“I had an experience where I had a month to do a journal and procrastinated until the night before and then the next day, I was so tired that I couldn’t focus in any of my classes,’’ Gaitan said. ‘’I also recommend forming good relationships with your teachers because then you’ll gain their trust, which helps if you ever need anything like a due date extended.’’ 

Seniors have an immense amount of activities to look forward to during their last year of high school, like homecoming, senior prom, Gradbash and Mr. Western. Procrastinating on work now or from previous years can sneak up and take time away from these exciting events that seniors deserve to enjoy. 

“Senior year can be the last time that you see a lot of the people in your grade and you wouldn’t want to miss out on some of these special moments,’’ Gaitan said.  

Prioritizing school during the week and keeping your eye on the finish line ensures time is still left to enjoy senior year.

“Keep the finish line in mind, you’ll be crossing it before you know it,’’ Forcier said.