Wildcats balance work and school

Teens often hold jobs at popular restaurants and fast food places, such as Dairy Queen.

"Now Hiring Sign" by JeepersMedia is licensed under CC BY 2.0

Teenagers are expensive. Between shopping with friends, going out to eat, filling up your gas tank, and going to the movies, teens rack up a hefty amount of money. Getting a job seems like the best way to pay for these expenses. From working retail to tutoring fellow students, Wildcats have found a way to balance school, extracurriculars, sports, family, and friends, all while working many hours a week. 

Freshman Alexia Ferraro sees the value of independence in holding her job at Publix. 

“Working at Publix comes with many future benefits and opportunities,” Ferraro said. “It is good to stay working there because you can always move up to working at customer service or being a manager, which would increase your pay.”

Other students make money by helping other teens in challenging subjects. Sophomore Alex Yudell tutors at Mathnasium. 

‘’I work with kids from kindergarten to twelfth grade where I give them assignments and help them with homework questions,’’ Yudell said. 

Junior Sara Mason who works at Panera Bread. 

‘’Working creates responsibility that applies to life and the real world.’’ Mason said. ‘’My job encourages me to understand the importance of time management.’’  

Some students make money off of working in retail companies where they can help individuals pick outfits that make them feel their best. 

‘’My job isn’t complicated as I do similar things at home like folding clothes,’’ junior Jhaniel Colon said.  “My job at Hollister teaches me to be organized and responsible.’’ 

However, there are some students who prefer not to work for their own individual reasons. Whether they can’t fit a job into their busy schedule or simply have other priorities, working isn’t an option for some students. 

‘’I do not have transportation to get to a job if I had one,’’ freshman Giuliana Brosz said. “I also don’t have the time for a job as I play varsity and travel soccer on top of all of my schoolwork,’’ Brosz said. 

Senior Jasmine Ishahack also elected not to work outside of school.  

‘’I chose not to work to focus on my senior year and prepare for college so there really isn’t any spare time,’’ Ishahack said. 

While jobs can teach responsibility and other positive character traits essential for college and beyond, the schedule juggling and distraction is not worth it for everyone.