Parking spot tradition lives on

Riley Rush

Senior Jane Dubelier’s student parking spot is painted to look like Van Gogh’s “Starry Night.”

Student parking spots are decorated with vibrant colors and patterns; there are spots painted with flowers, animals, rainbows or even Vincent Van Gogh’s “Starry Night.”

At the beginning of the year, incoming juniors and seniors are able to purchase and personalize their own parking spot. This 20 year-long tradition helps students express their style and share a story about themselves.

“I based my parking spot off of Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh because I’ve done murals with the same art style for a while, and I feel like I’ve mastered it,” senior Jane Dubelier said.

Along with the customization aspect, individual parking spots allow more freedom, responsibility and independence. 

“It’s nice to be able to drive myself to school and have a designated spot to park in so I don’t have to deal with the car line,” junior Brandon Gerber said. 

Despite the benefits, there are some complications, including paint restrictions and a limited amount of spots. The parking spot painting is a senior class fundraiser, and students must participate in the fundraiser to be allowed to paint their spot. According to assistant principal Helene Kocis, students are not allowed to paint on the concrete, or over the number on the spot, so that students and administration can locate and keep a record of who parks in each spot.

On top of that, everything must be school appropriate. Of the 500 students who applied, 421 students secured spots.

This year is Kocis’s first year taking on the parking spot responsibility after Mr. [David] Olafson’s passing.

“He [Mr. Olafson] did a really good job in the past, and he [was] extremely organized in what he did–it was easier than expected,” Kocis said. 

Besides the few complications, students said the parking spot tradition was an exciting experience to start off the new school year.