Filed under News, Showcase

Florida earns worst driver ranking second year in a row

The

The "worst drivers" in Florida can be found in Miami-Dade, according to study by Stein Law Group and marketing firm 1Point21, with the highest fatalities per mile, the road with the highest fatalities and the road with the most fatal crashes.

Travis Estell / Flickr

Travis Estell / Flickr

A recent study has found that Florida has the worst drivers in the United States–for the second year in a row. Financial tech firm SmartAsset did a study in August on driving in the United States and concluded that Florida is inferior. Students and staff weren’t surprised.

Senior Katie Wilson, who had seen the study on Twitter, said, “I wasn’t surprised at all, Florida drivers are kind [of] known [for this].”

“Well, that isn’t my fault,” junior Logan Vanderlem said when he learned of Florida’s unflattering ranking. “ I’m a good driver,” he said. Students interviewed viewed themselves as competent drivers, so why is Florida ranked at the bottom?

The study came to its conclusion by looking at Florida’s deaths per 1000 people, DUI’s per 1000 people, the amount of driving ticket-related Google searches and the high percentage of people who have auto insurance. Some student drivers who had never heard the statistic believe that people drive under the influence more often in Florida than in other states, but not very many admitted to looking up information about driving tickets.

Even though Florida has the worst drivers, students still seem to like driving and some say they feel comfortable. Senior Alyssa Mendez claimed that she “feels safe” on our roads because she is cautious and aware of her surroundings. She also says that she likes to drive because it makes her feel “independent.” Vanderlem said that he likes to drive because it gives him a sense of freedom.

Geometry teacher Maria Müller, who used to live and drive in California and Colorado,  proclaimed, “It’s like a battle out there,” when referring to Florida’s roads. While she said that California’s roads had much more traffic, people were much more courteous. Müller said drivers would use their turn signal, obey yield signs, and respect pedestrians–things she said few drivers pay attention to here.  

Müller said that she doesn’t feel safe on Florida roads and that out of all the states she’s driven in, Florida is, “the worst.”  Sophomore Elizabeth Ryan, who previously lived in Washington, agreed with Müller when she said, “Florida drivers are crazy. It’s like when it rains, people forget how to drive. In Washington, people know how to drive in the rain.”

Maybe it’s the heat driving the Sunshine State to drive poorly. Maybe the humidity has turned residents’ brains to mush. Whatever the reason, Floridians can’t put the brakes on being the worst.