Filed under News, Showcase

Underclassmen step up to new roles

Seniors claim their spots in the parking lot for the upcoming year. Photo: Jacey Madrid

The student parking lot empties, hallway traffic thins out and classrooms figure out just how many seniors attended once they’re all gone. School seems a little empty after the 2017 class flies the coop, leaving the rest of us behind in their wake. However, the departure of graduating seniors and the nearing end of yet another school year is nothing to be concerned about, and there’s no better way to ensure students are convinced of this than a high school tradition meant to raise spirits and encourage underclassmen to step up.

“Step-Up Day” is an initiation of sorts into the next year. With the seniors proceeding to the next stages in life, that technically moves juniors into the senior’s place at the top of the food chain and in turn slips both freshman and sophomores into their succeeding places. Each grade dresses in the class color of the one that they’ll be moving into. Freshmen wear blue to symbolize the becoming of a sophomore; sophomores don red as future juniors; juniors sport black and gold as models of the new senior class. Students enthusiastically participate in the tradition.

“I find the whole school dressing up to be exciting, [seeing] people come together in the colors of their grade kinda shows that we’re all moving up one way or another, even if I’m just becoming a sophomore and someone else is already a junior,” freshman Olivia Spires said.

Step-Up Day is not only a chance to show off school spirit but also acts as a milestone, assuring students that the stress of this past year is over and there’s more to look forward to in the years to come

“This year getting acquainted was a little difficult; [next year] I’m looking forward to new opportunities that come with being a sophomore. Step up day means I’m moving on with school and progressing with my life, although it makes me a little nervous, I know that I’m prepared,” freshman Morgan Stalnaker said.

The custom brings students together, evoking common feelings from incoming sophomores and juniors alike.

“Step-up day was a great way to welcome all the new incoming seniors and to just get everybody together as a class,” sophomore Casey Delisser said.

Fellow sophomore Anna Silva noticed more participation this year versus the previous, while junior Samantha Estella said the day represents the steps taken up to the present, the path paved throughout high school and the track yet to be laid in the future.