First Coffeehouse a success

Drama Club’s first Coffeehouse event of the year was held on Thurs. Oct. 1 in theater teacher Oliver Black’s room from 6 until 8 p.m. It was an event designed to highlight the creativity of the school’s students through song and poetry. Proceeds from the event went to support the drama club.

Walking in, participants were greeted with a fun, inviting atmosphere, lights strung about the room and benches, blankets and beanbag chairs spread haphazardly around the floor. Before the show started, sophomore Joshua Bullock said, “[I’m feeling] a little unprepared, but…pretty good.”

The night of the event, performers rehearsed after school and the audience was allowed into Black’s room 10 minutes prior to the show’s start.

“Coffeehouse was amazing experience,” sophomore Coffeehouse performer Brian Inerfeld said, “I was so glad to be a part of [it].”

Inerfeld was only one of the 20 students who performed at the Coffeehouse. Students sang original as well as cover songs, such as sophomore Kyra Mejia, who sang “Ex’s and Oh’s” by Elle King, or freshman Andrea Ochoa who sang “Back to Black” by Amy Winehouse.

Students also recited original poetry, such as Bullock. Others chose to release their inner thespians and musicians, performing monologues like freshman Samantha Lucas who performed the monologue “Dog Face.” Others played instruments ranging from the piano to the ukulele.

“Coffeehouse is infinite [in expressing] everybody’s possibility to be themselves [and their creativity],” senior Coffeehouse performer Alexandra Passalacqua said. “[Metaphorically, from] blue lights to green lights, it [was] a colorful event.”

The event’s mystique captivated the audience with an energetic yet calming atmosphere. A person walking in would be overcome with the energy just oozing around the nostalgically decorated room. The energy was shown throughout the night with multiple instances of clapping and/or singing along, and even light-waving, concert style.

No two acts felt the same as every performer brought a different kind of magic to the stage. To enhance the nostalgic feeling of a true coffeehouse, there were drinks and refreshments available throughout the night including donuts and pastries, tea and of course, coffee, all covered by the $7 tickets which were available through pre-order only.

“Coffeehouse felt like one of those cozy winter nights when you’re surrounded by amazing people making amazing memories,” Lucas said. “It was an unforgettable experience.”

Anyone who didn’t catch the event can go next time, or possibly perform on Dec 10, for the holiday Coffeehouse which will be at the same time, place and price.