Library remodeling

Western library, photo courtesy of our photographer Siena Berardi

The school welcomed 2017 by ridding itself of most books and printed media in the library, some of which dated back to the 80’s.

Transformations and remodeling may take months or years. The left side is already under construction. Books were continuously given out to students for no cost and they took as many as they wanted. Unfortunately, charity was not an option when it came to donating books because the county restricts this option.

“They get boxed up and sent out to warehouses where it is unknown what happens to them afterwards,” said Diana Maniscalco, head assistant of the library. “Giving books out to students and teachers presented a more suitable option where they can surely be put to great use,” she said.

The library will still contain books, new and up-to-date ones, but they will only cover the walls of the library, taking up only four bookshelves.

“The main goal of the reconstruction is to offer a new and improved 21st century equipped library. It will contain more computers and iPads than books and printed media,” Maniscalco said.

Teachers will also have the opportunity to bring in their classes for lessons on the computers or demonstrations on the Promethean boards. This allows students to be more interactive and efficient with their school work. The media center will still be monitored by the same staff. All students are welcome to visit during both lunch periods and in the mornings. Students who enter during class periods must present a pass.

Various board games will be added to the media center for students to play during their free time.

Maniscalco believes the media center will be more in tune, more in use, and more up to date than it was prior to the renovations. It will be more accessible for students to get more assignments, projects and classwork done.

As all schools in Broward County are updating their media center‘s equipment and library, Western is following the trend as well. Everything will still run the same; however, there will be a lot more advantages and improvements made throughout the years to the satisfaction of the students.