Lacrosse team sticks together as season begins

Lacrosse sticks image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons and used under fair use.

Shine those helmets, strap on those knee pads, and bring those sticks out because the lacrosse season has arrived. With the new season comes a new head coach, Doug Shanahan. So far, players have welcomed him with open arms.

“We have an experienced coach this year and he teaches us plenty from his [former career in Major League Lacrosse (MLL)],” sophomore defender Garrett Pistiner said. “I have excellent teammates, they are all respectful and trustworthy. We boost each other up and often joke around, but when we get on the field we do not joke at all,” Pistiner said.

Pistiner has been playing lacrosse for 7 years and says “this is one of the best teams I have been on.”

“This team has come a long way. Some kids on the team have never played the sport before and are trying it out for the first time, while other veterans anchor the team. You do not need experience to participate with this team,” Coach Shanahan said.

Junior Jet-Li Buelvas grew up playing lacrosse for local teams and Coach Shanahan has helped him improve even more.

“I played freshman and sophomore year and had so much fun. During these two seasons, I was able to improve in my attacking and I have found a positive way to spend my time. Most of my teammates I know from previous teams, but we do have some new faces including freshmen; however, after playing with each other, we have ended up becoming close. Chemistry is one of the key ingredients to forming a championship team,” Buelvas said.

The team persisted despite multiple setbacks.

“We have gone through several coaches but the squad has stuck together,” senior Josh Lazarus said.

The Wildcats had several adversities in previous years from injured players to inadequate coaches. Lazarus has stuck through these setbacks and played since freshman year.

The season began on Feb. 8 when the Wildcats faced off against the Cardinal Gibbons Chiefs. Despite losing 13-9, the team remains hopeful about the season.