Media center undergoes transition, gains new specialist

Yasmeen Dahsheh, Staff Writer

The media center has been a treasure house of knowledge, allowing students to boost their education in various fields. Formerly an English teacher, media specialist Diana Maniscalco helps students locate the information they need in a matter of seconds.  Maniscalco has been an English teacher her whole life but went back to college in order to become a media specialist.  Maniscalco was a media specialist in three other schools and “would rather be surrounded by books” more than anything else in this world.

The media center not only stocks books but also magazines, journals and newspapers to keep readers entertained.  The media center now offers books and DVDs in other languages, including Spanish, “now ESOL students can find a book of their choice too,” Maniscalco said.

Due to testing, students are confused when they can or can’t come to the media center, “so they don’t come at all,” Maniscalco said.  EOCs, FCATs and Pert tests are all given in the media center throughout the year.

When the library is open, students have the opportunity to print assignments or research with the first page costing 15 cents and any additional pages costing 10 cents each, so there’s no need to fret over unexpected printer malfunctions or low ink cartridges anymore.

“I’m forgetful when it comes to printing out my papers, thank [goodness] for the library,” senior Gabriela Torres said.

For other students, surfing the web can be helpful at the library too.  Especially students who don’t have access to internet at home, said senior Katherine Less.  “It’s very easy for students to run upstairs and get the information they need,” she said.

Our library can also be a “quiet place to relax and catch up on social media during lunch time,” sophomore Eva Brotus said.

It allows students to take a break from all the chaos that may be happening outside the library doors, giving them the freedom to finish reading a book in silence or simply browse the countless collections of DVDs offered.