AP Capstone provides necessary skills for college, world readiness

Behind closed doors in room 706 lies a brand new class:  AP Capstone, offered by longtime AP-certified teacher Kristine Frailing, is a new course offered by CollegeBoard.

The two-year program consists of two classes, AP Seminar and AP Research. Upon completion of the program, students will receive a Capstone diploma in addition to the standard graduation certificate.

In order to receive the Capstone diploma, students must earn a 3 or higher on both the AP Seminar and AP Research exams in addition to passing four other exams of their choice. AP Capstone is recommended for tenth and eleventh grade students.

“I found out about this new program at the end of ninth grade. I really did not know too much about what the whole course was about, but I heard it would be interesting,” sophomore Camryn Hambro said.

At each class assembly last Spring, students were provided with a pamphlet about AP Capstone; however, it did not entirely explain what the course entailed. The pamphlet itself only explained the benefits and rewards of the class instead of the class curriculum.

“From what I read, I thought it would be a research program where we learned public speaking,” junior Caitlyn Dang said.

College Board describes AP Capstone to be a program where students are able to examine materials such as research studies, news stories and literary works. They will also learn to craft their arguments to support their points of view and communicate these views effectively.

“I expected the program to be difficult, but not as intense as it is. It really requires you to think outside of the box,” Hambro said.

Throughout the course, students will work independently as well as with a team to research a topic, develop a written report and deliver a presentation.

“It’s very different than any other class I’ve taken because we are able to have so much time [in class] to discuss and really share our opinions [as well as] interact with our classmates,” Dang said.

This intensive, research-based program is not for everyone, but some are up for the challenge.

“[Frailing] is a very engaging yet challenging teacher. I definitely think she will teach the course very well and prepare us for the exam,” junior Max Berger said.

This program is very different than any other class offered. Like a typical AP course, Capstone provides students with knowledge that is taught to college students. Analysis on current world events is an essential skill necessary for college and any future career. Both AP Seminar and AP Research are beneficial courses for anyone to take sometime during high school.

In its inaugural year, AP Capstone is off to a great start. For more information and details on the class requirements, visit the CollegeBoard website.