Student artwork captivates judges

Artists at school are given their moment to shine and show off what they can do.

March 14, 2015

Every year student artists are given the opportunity to display their proudest work of art they have completed throughout the year. This year’s art show was held in the Media Center for three days starting Jan. 27.  Students in AP Art, 3D Art, Ceramics and 2D Art contributed to this event by choosing the piece of art they found most appropriate to display.  Winners in the art show were divided in different categories.  Senior Lauren Ravelo won student choice, along with senior Anthony Grasso with best in show, and Michaela Dean with the principal’s choice award.

Teachers who signed up ahead of time brought up their classes to the media center for 20-minute increments.  Students were able to vote for the piece they favored most.  Judges from other schools, including Fox Trail Elementary and Indian Ridge Middle and director of Weston’s art show were also judges for the show.

Art teachers including Alissa Elenzweig, Cynthia Depanicis and Brenda Fischer played a big role preparing the art show and organized a special night for parents to view the students’ art pieces.

Students in AP Art have taken their artistic abilities to a different level throughout the years.

“I’ve always loved art and grew up surrounded by artists and I love seeing people’s styles and ideas and minds depicted on a piece,” said senior Paris Zepeda, who has been in AP Art for two years with Fischer.

“Every student who loves art should be proud of their art work,” senior Jewel Peart said.

Elenzweig deemed the show “a great success” and teachers plan to continue the tradition next year.