Webcats TV show set to make air waves this fall

Kevin Tran

Media crew demonstrates skills that will be utilized in the upcoming tv show.

“Good morning Wildcats, please stand for the pledge,” followed by an antiquated method of delivering the latest and greatest news of the school. Enter digital design teacher and Media Crew sponsor Daniel Buck, along with a group of his students, who seem to have a solution to the current dilemma: Western Webcats.

Buck described it like “A Daily Show of sorts…with various segments.”

Western Webcats is the television show made by and for students, albeit currently only in its planning phase. The concept is to have a bi-weekly YouTube stream in the style of the Daily Show, made by utilizing the abundant talent present at the school. The show will have news and announcements, sports scores and highlights, comedy skits and other specialized segments.

“It will be on YouTube…as well as…a district-funded (site) for all schools to have live programming,” Buck explained.

A recent meeting in Buck’s room attempted to draw together all interested parties for the endeavor, where Buck explained the premise of the show as well as detailing the expansive quantity of work one must be willing to take on. He even stated the show might not even get off the ground.

“I think it’s a great idea for the kids and to make both programs better,” drama teacher Oliver Black said.

Oliver Black is also excited about the prospects of the TV show, as he will be the one culling actors from his classes to fill the ranks of anchors and actors in the show. Amidst his recently displayed poster for his students, there has been a buzz of excitement in his classes about possibilities for his advanced pupils.

“This new project will require our full time and energy, but it will be worth it when you produce our hard work into something everyone can enjoy,” said freshman Oliver Payne.

While student interest thus far has been limited in number and scope, the dedication from those interested is extremely high. The endeavor is sure to fascinate many students, as well as redefine the way they obtain information about their school.